Thank you to all the parents that helped out for our classroom’s pizza hot lunch fundraiser. I couldn’t have done it without your help.
Young Entrepreneur FairThe date is fast approaching. It will be taking place in the school gym Wednesday, December 12th from 9:00am to 3:00pm. There will be close to 90 kids selling their unique products to the school community, family and friends. The students have been working hard in our class to prepare their Business Plans. I gave each child a copy of a typed up business plan, as a guide for preparing their own. Students should now all be ready to begin typing up their good copies. Here is some important details in preparation for our upcoming event:
- All Business Plans must be typed and presented in a folder/report cover and displayed on their table during the Fair.
- Hopefully students have begun mass production of their products. (fine tuned based on their market research results) - please don’t wait until the last minute.
- A float of $10 in change is recommended for the event.
- If they plan on purchasing other products at the Fair, a separate supply of money is required. We have had issues in the past with students taking money from their own float boxes to buy their friend’s products. At the end of the day, they could not figure out how much money they made and some did not have any money to pay back their loans or donate 10% to the charity of choice.
- The intermediate teachers are asking that students have their products and displays at school by Monday, December 10th. They will be 3 to a table, so no large displays please. Table cloths, etc. are always a nice thing to see. We will be making our posters at school.
- All students are required to donate a minimum of 10% of their profits to our chosen Charity – the Campbell River SPCA.
- It is the student’s responsibility to let me know ahead of time if any power outlets are required as this will impact their location in the gym.
Christmas ConcertThis will take place Tuesday, December 18th at 7pm. This year’s theme is Le Grincheux (The Grinch who Stole Christmas). Your child will either be singing in the choir, playing the part of a Narrator or a Who, or singing the song “You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch”. I am really excited to see this all come together, as the entire school will be taking part in our school play/musical/performance. A huge thanks goes out to Mme. DenOuden, Mme. Attfield, Mr. Toupin and Mme. Guevremont for organizing this.
- The dress-rehearsal - Tuesday, December 18th at 1pm. Families are welcome.
- School concert – Tuesday, December 18th at 7pm.
December’s Focus for Communicating Student Progress = French Oral Language !!!
Math – we will continue to work on our multiplication and begin adding division. It is very important that your child have a solid understanding of multiplication facts to 9 as this is the foundation for most upcoming math concepts in math this year. Some ways that you can support your child at home is with Flash Cards, computer games (found in Resources section), there are many apps available on your iPhone, iPod, iPads, as well as by quizzing them in the car when going to different events and afterschool activities.
Sciences – we will continue studying Simple Machines. We have completed a webquest to learn about the 6 simple machines and are going to be doing a hands-on project to demonstrate a further understanding of this. I will post the criteria this week.
Socials – I am hoping to touch on First Nation cultures before the end of December. This will be continued in the new year if needed.
English – Young Entrepreneurs will wrap up this month. We will continue to look work on reading strategies and writing.
French – The Daily 3 continues, as well as sentence structures and hopefully touch on paragraph writing.
Art – integrated into the different units.
PE – this month we will continue to focus on teamwork, leadership skills, fair play and cooperative games. We have also been playing Volleyball and will continue to do so until the break.